UPDATE: It appears the Office 365 group has to be set to Public and not Private for this to work.
FYI: Public and Private are both still internal only. There is no ‘Public’ access to any of this without invitation.
The difference between sharing with Anyone and sharing with a Specific Person is that sharing with Anyone or Anonymously does not require authentication. It’s open and public access that anyone with the sharing link can access. You can read more about the specifics on sharing with SharePoint here.
However, for those of you who still want this ability, below are some steps to enable this feature using PowerShell. Follow the steps below to enable sharing with Anyone in your Office 365 group.
- Download and install the SharePoint Online Management Shell tool. This will allow you to connect to SharePoint online through PowerShell.
- Open and run the SharePoint Online Management Shell and type the following:
$userCredential - Get-Credential
- Please note that you will be prompted for your Office 365 admin credentials, and if you have Multi Factor Authentication enabled, click here for those instructions.
- Now that you are connected and authenticated, you will need to run the command below.
Connect-SPOService -Url https://yourcompany.sharepoint.com -Credential $userCredential
- Please note that you must replace the above url with your tenant ID which is embedded in your SharePoint (365 Group) address. It will look like this: https://yourcompany.sharepoint.com.
- Now that you are connected to your SharePoint Online tenant, you can now change the property to enable Anonymous sharing with Anyone in your 365 Group. Run the following command against the group site.
set-sposite -identity https://yourcompany.sharepoint.com/teams/365group -sharingcapability ExternalUserAndGuestSharing
- Congratulations! That’s it. Refresh your browser and the Anyone sharing should be available now.
You can read more about how to work with SharePoint Online via PowerShell using the links below.
Let me know if this has helped your tenant.